What we want students to gain from work experience
For our students work experience is not only an opportunity to develop understanding and knowledge of working life but also to –
- Engage with the wider community
- Meet and learn from others
- Learn new skills
- Build in confidence and self-esteem.
- Gain awareness of their strengths and abilities
- Develop, interests and aspirations for the future
Where possible we will always try to place students in areas or types of work in which they have expressed a particular interest, and are always looking to extend the range of opportunities available to them.
At this stage, ‘work experience’ is not necessarily seen as preparation for a career but rather an opportunity to gain experience and knowledge of ‘working life’.
Work experience gives our students an opportunity to gain knowledge and practise skills in the following areas –
- Working with others (team work)
- The importance of punctuality and completing given tasks
- To learn about worker’s rights and responsibilities for the future
- Health and Safety at work
- Problem solving
- Coping with anxieties
- Developing social and interpersonal skill
- To follow instructions
- Independent travel skills
- Specific skill development
Work related learning (WRL) is defined by QCA* as planned activity that uses the context of work to develop knowledge, skills and understanding useful in work, including learning through the experience of work, learning about work and working practices, and learning the skills for work.
None of this would be possible without the continuing support of the businesses and organisations in our community that are willing to act as work providers for our students. Click on each link for more information.
- Dave Allen Motor Repairs
- Cooperative Supermarket
- Barnardos Charity Shop
- Age UK Charity Shops
- On Board Skate Park
- Graves Park Animal Farm
- Mayfield Alpaca Farm
- Maplin Electronics
- Sheffield University
- The Riva Project
- Sheffield Skin Care Company
- Northern General Hospital
- Sheffield Futures
- Herries Lodge Care Home